- http://groups.google.com/advanced-group-search) to see if a topic has been touched or answered before already, and maybe even visit our neighbours in alt.games.diablo. You can ask any questions you want, but please be nice to each other. All files linked in this post are currently clean, but you should check them for viruses anyway. If you don't have any antivirus software installed you can use Kaspersky's Remote Virus Check: http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html
On USEast: agd2
On Europe: public chat agd2
- Create a passworded game in Normal difficulty.
- Stay in this game for more than five minutes. After that the game is in general stable for some more minutes even if nobody is in the game.
- Leave the game.
- Return to the game to make sure it is still there.
- Drop the items you want to mule.
- Leave the game.
- Return with your mule character to the game and pick up your items. Please note sometimes games just crash, so only mule items with this method that you can accept to lose in case the server screws up. And items tend to disappear quite quickly when lying on the ground (between 15 and 30 minutes), so better drop them in small portions. A safer method is to ask a friend to hold your items while you jump in and out of the game.
- While muling I sometimes get a "Realm down" or "Please check your modem" message, and my muling game is gone when I log in again. Is there a way to avoid that?When you change characters too quickly the Battlenet interprets the repetitive actions as an attempt to flood the servers and locks you out for a little while. There are two ways to avoid this:
- Take your time when changing characters, count to five when you
are in the character selection screen.
- When you get the error message try disconnecting from the internet and reconnecting again. In many cases your ISP then gives you a new IP address, and you can log into your account again. There are ISPs (afaik in Switzerland or Austria) where you have a static IP, but somehow can change it manually, this works too.
- Take your time when changing characters, count to five when you are in the character selection screen.
- Install D2 and LoD with key set #1
- Copy the folder contents to a new folder
- Uninstall D2 and LoD in the original folder
- Install D2 and LoD with key set #2
- Exchange d2gfx.dll in both directories with a modified version that can be downloaded here: D2gfx_111b.zip
- Start both installations via game.exe and enjoy
In order to make it work you have to place the file in the respective D2 installation directory, otherwise you will get an error message "Missing storm.dll".
/w *account or /msg *account or
/w character or /msg character
If you have the recipient on your friends list you can whisper him instead of his account name with a shortcut. Use /w %f[number] with the recipient's number on your friends list instead of [number]. Additional commands can be found here: http://www.battle.net/info/commands.shtml
- Chat bots idle in a channel to hold it open and serve the visitors with information. There are different builds, but in the channels they all look like blond girls. Most bots react to commands executed with an exclamation mark in front of them or a similar prefix. If you come across a bot just type !version in the channel, that tells you the bot's build. The bot used in "Public Chat agd2" on Europe and "Public Chat Mickey" on West are made by SubSpace whose web site can be found here: http://www.subbot.net/
- There used to be so-called Meph bots, Pindle bots or shop bots that
basically played the game for you. Probably they still exist, but
then people are more careful with their use.
The bot is told what items to look for and what actions to perform (eg go down Anya's red portal, teleport to Pindleskin, kill him and his buddies, check items on the ground, pick up the valuable stuff, go back to town, place it in stash, go to Larzuk for repair, exit and create a new game.
Botting is in this group considered cheating by a lot of people, but some people have openly admitted using bots, and we still talk with them...
- I have placed the necessary runes for a runeword in an item, but it doesn't work. What have I done wrong?The item you want to use must not be unique (golden text), set (green text), rare (yellow text) or magic (blue text). It has to be grey, and it must be the right item type (don't mix up spears and polearms, and "mace" for a Heart of the Oak doesn't require a mace class weapon, but a mace type such as a flail).
The number of sockets must correspond exactly to the number of runes you want to insert, and the runes must be inserted in the exact order, otherwise you only get the bonus of the single runes. Don't get upset though if the rune you wanted to insert ended up in a different socket than the one you targeted, as the local arrangement within the item cannot be influenced by you.
- I have found a unique phase blade, but my game crashes when I point on it with my cursor. What can I do?You probably have a non-English game version, and at least the German version crashes if you try to look at an item that gives you an aura when equipped. A German guy developed an unofficial patch though, it can be downloaded at http://www.ingame.de/filebase/index.php?action=file&cid=325&fid=1467.
Either a bug, a glitch or a feature, charges in items of skills you don't possess at all give you a synergy level equivalent to the level of the charges...
To be more precise, Marrowwalk has charges of level 33 bone prison. So if a necromancer doesnt put a single point into the bone prison skills, he gets 33 levels of synergy to each of bone armour, bone spirit, bone spear, bone wall and teeth while wearing Marrowwalk boots. Kinda buggy in this case, because it's fairly overpowered, even if you cant spam any bone prison.
Another item like this is Moonfall, with level 11 meteor charges. Give it to a fireball sorceress who hasn't invested any point in meteor, and she gets 11 levels of synergy for free. (glitch in this case, because it allows a sorceress more versatility and is the only viable way to build a successful multiplayer hell capable tri-elementalist, but she'll never be more powerful than a pure FB sorc).
Q: What about maphack?
A1) A neologism roughly equivalent to "troll" in AGD2.
A2) The reason for half of the flame wars in this newsgroup. Please think twice before posting about maphack, or even mentioning it.
A3) Most people think it should have been (banned from)/(bundled into) the game since the beginning. This is a (disastrous cheat)/(convenient tool) designed to (ruin)/(enhance) the gaming experience. Blizzard's stance against maphack has clearly been stated even though (they should be more aggressive)/(they tacitly recognize its contribution to gameplay). Diplomacy recommends that posters should not mention maphack in any way.
- Official web site, English: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/
- Fan web site, English: http://www.diabloii.net/
- Fan web site, German: http://diablo2.ingame.de/
- Very old Diablo II FAQ, English: http://www.geocities.com/wchin8/FAQD2.html
- Not so old agd2 FAQ, English: http://www.evanescent.plus.com/index.htm
- Very useful tool for runes and runewords: http://www.spaceman.ca/rune/
- Rune word Guru: http://bandersnatch.org/rwg/rwg.py
- And another tool around runes, including horadric cube upgrade recipes: http://tomatoman.net/cgi-bin/d2runes.pl
- Interactive skill planner: http://d2items.com/skills.php
- Weapon speed calculator: http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/calcs/weaponspeed.php?lang=english
- Different tables with speed breaks etc (archived version): http://web.archive.org/web/20040215150038/home.comcast.net/~cxc-admin/resource.htm
- The faces in AGD2: http://diablo.saber-online.com/agd2/members.html